Friday, June 10, 2011

All Creatures Great and Small

It may be cause of my Paganistic personality or just my natural soft heart for all things living but I have realized that I have been watching and paying very close attention to the animals that I have been seeing.  I care about all things living, they all in one way or another play an important roll in the ecosystem and I may say that ya I hate this creature or this creature but honestly I don't.  Some scare me, or creep me out or what not but I cant hate a living creature that is just doing what comes naturally to it, whether it be protecting itself, its family, trying to survive by hunting prey to eat.  This has been on my mind a lot lately since a local news station broke the story of a cougar that was trying to be trapped due to being spotted among some houses located in a part of a forest.  I'm sad to say that they did capture it and dispose of it :(  its sad that people cant see that we are invading their territory, that these animals have more of a right to this land then we do.  Yes there is always a SLIM chance that a person could be attacked but only if the animal feels threatened or the person is just being plain stupid (at which point I say the person is just asking for it).  I was skimming the news channel again looking at stories and there have been two more spotted and I'm just worried that they will meet the same fate because they are just in wrong place at the wrong time.  No animals should ever be killed when there are other things that can be done, like relocating them. 

Anyway . . . As for me paying more attention to the animals around me I have noticed birds more then anything.  I usually notice them when they are doing something strange or funny though and I never seem to have a video camera on me.  Two things that really stick in my memory is one day walking out of the gym I could hear something on the tin roof and looked up to see a bird bathing in the gutter, I got a good laugh out of that.  The other was a couple days ago when coming out of the gym I happened to glance up the hill and saw a bird trying to run up the hill packing something.  As I watched longer I noticed it was packing a feather that was easily twice its own size.  To add to this even more it was kinda windy which was not is the birds favor lol poor little thing kept loosing the feather and would have to run to pick it back up and then try to run back up the hill with it again.  I got a good kick out of it. 

I will say though that a lot of the things that have been happening with animals to be lately are not all happy, amusing or cute.  Since its getting warming snakes are now out and we have to be careful on our afternoon/evening walks.  We have seen a bull snake laying along the road in the grass, a water snake along the road that I chased off so the dog wouldn't go after it and the other day a rattler laying right in the middle of the road.  Wasn't sure if it was alive or dead (leaning towards live at the time, no signs of it being hurt but when I threw a rock at it it didn't move and didn't move when we walked by it).  Needless to say the next day it was smashed in the road and very gross looking.  Plus driving home at night when we go somewhere I'm usually good at not hitting any but last night wasn't able to avoid one and drove right over the middle of the poor thing, surprising wasn't all that upset about it.  Probably about 45 minutes earlier I was paying attention to the road but still somehow managed to hit a small bird, made me feel like crap.  I'm not even sure how I hit it either.  Neither Tim or I ever saw the bird in the road or anything and I just remember seeing it bounce off the hood and then hitting the window and scaring the shit out of me!  The rest of the way home I couldn't stop seeing in the back of my mind what I saw when I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw when it landed and bounced on the road.  I'm the type of person that gets sick when I hit an animal and should really learn not to look in the mirror, I'm the type of person that when I hit a bunny last year had to go back and move it out of the road cause I couldn't stomach someone else running if over.  I know some people consider that pathetic and weak but its why I dream of one day being a veterinarian so I can help animals.  I think I'm rambling lol anyway I had to keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason and even prayed to the Goddess of the Earth to forgive for taking a life of one of her creatures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment